Stakeholder engagement can ensure sustainable and positive development in project-impacted areas. We help organisations to better understand who their stakeholders are, how to engage, what their stakeholders want, why they want it and when they want it. This will impact on an organisation’s plans and actions that will affect their goals.
Sustainability and social impact are recognised as a growing area of strategic value creation for companies and projects. Most listed companies have the responsibility to report on social investment and community development programmes. Stakeholder engagement can ensure sustainable, positive development in project-impacted areas.
Implementing stakeholder engagement supports sustainable change in development operations and mitigates risks linked to human behaviour. Our stakeholder engagement methodologies do not solely rely on media or electronic channels to engage stakeholders, but rather focus on participatory and interpersonal methods.
Several development programmes and projects have struggled because people were left out of the process. When people are locally involved and actively participating in the projects, much more can be achieved with less, even in sheer financial terms.
We support the modern shift toward a participatory approach when engaging in a project and with its stakeholders.
THE INCLUSION OF STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT IN YOUR PROJECT PLAN
AND DEVELOPMENT WORK OFTEN RESULT IN:
Enhancing people’s voices and participation
Increased social impact and the sustainability of projects
Increased local/provincial and national support for a project
Reduced political risks
Reduced technical risks
Informed project design
The majority of projects have hidden obstacles and obstructions that we are geared2 help uncover, mitigate and address. We encourage the active involvement of local stakeholders from the early stages of an initiative. When not involved from the beginning, stakeholders tend to be more suspicious of a project’s activities and less prone to support them.
THE OUTCOME OF EFFECTIVE STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT IS:
- Provides valuable insights into the local realities
- Increased knowledge that leads to a more relevant, effective and sustainable project design
- Decreases misunderstandings
- Fosters positive attitudes throughout the implementation of the project
- Increases two-way communication
- Insights gathered informs the project’s decision-making process
- Increases stakeholder confidence
- Decrease frustrations
- Mitigate protest action
- Dialogue – Is the necessary ingredient in building trust, sharing knowledge and ensuring a mutual understanding
- Reducing the cost spent on vandalism and delayed operations due to community action